"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thai Peanutty Chicken

I am so far behind on my blogging (or now I am just ahead ;-) because I have so many pictures and recipes waiting to be uploaded.) I am sure it will take a little while to get back into a routine now that I don't have girls camp and some other volunteer obligations completed. I am trying to get caught up on all of the life duties I put on hold while I dedicated my time to these other obligations. So in attempt to get back in to the blogging world I am posting this simple little recipe and hope you find it enjoyable too.

This is simple and tasty. You will enjoy this if you are in the mood for a little spice and variety in your menu. The picture shows it grilled. I was trying to do something new with the recipe. It works just okay in my opinion. Baking it the chicken has so much more flavor and moisture.

Serves 6 as an appetizer--served on a skewer or 3-4 as a main dish.
8-10 oz Chicken breast or tenders; chopped into bite-size pieces
(or use thin chicken cutlets for Skewers)
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce (found in the Ethnic section of your grocery store)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon tomato paste (I use ketchup, so I don't have to open a whole can or open a can and freeze the remaining paste so I have it for later.)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced (I tend to lean to 1 clove)

Preheat broiler. Place chopped chicken in a foil lined baking dish. (For Skewers- Cut chicken into 12 strips; thread onto twelve 8-inch bamboo skewers. Place skewers in prepared pan. )

For the sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Whisk over medium heat until mixture boils. (Set aside 1/2 cup of sauce if making skewers and keep warm. Brush your skewers with the remaining sauce).

Pour all the sauce over chicken; stir until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Broil chicken, turning once, until cooked through 10-12 minutes (skewers 5-6 for thin cutlets).

Serve over white rice and a vegetable side for a tasty meal.

No comments: