"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Sunday, August 22, 2010

Strawberry Mango Salad

Try this salad! You won't be disappointed! PROMISE!
Okay another great recipe from my new AFG cookbook! Katie you were right I LOVE your balsamic dressing (I admit it has become a new favorite.) and your salad was wonderful! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It was perfect that I had three ripe mango's in the fridge when I got home from the retreat--timing could not have been better seeing that I usually don't by mango's, yet I had gotten 3 in my bountiful basket the week before. Perfect, just Perfect!

Strawberry Mango Salad

1 cup diced mangos or more
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup Craisins
Romaine lettuce (1-2 bunches) or 1 bag romaine hearts
Dark green leaf lettuce (or a Spring Mix from Costco as a filler to the romaine)
3/4 cup slivered almonds (see recipe below)

All these ingredients can vary depending on tastes--can add more or less of all ingredients.

Balsamic Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup olive oil or light olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup grated onion
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar (Katie says Balsamic is key here but you can use other vinegars if you desire)

Emulsify in blender and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Almonds:
Melt 2-3 Tablespoons of butter in frying pan.
Add
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg (I use less not one of my favorite spices)

Mix together and then add 3/4 cup sliced almonds. Stir just until nuts turn light or medium brown in color. Pour out of pan onto a cookie sheet and cool. When cool, add nuts to salad.

To make this ore of a meal, add cooked chicken. Serves 8-10.

**I found that this was a large recipe for our family of 5 but I didn't toss the mangos and strawberries in with the lettuce we just added them to each serving, same with the nuts. It worked like a charm and we were able to have it with two meals. I found that by mixing the mangos and strawberries together in a bowl worked nicely and the strawberries kept a fresh look even for the next day's servings.

1 comment:

Kim Possible said...

I only have mustard balls...the tiny ones. Would those work? Do you think I should cut the amount in half before the blender step? Or just leave it out all together?