"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fresh Okra and Tomatoes

We got okra in our Bountiful Basket this week and it sent me on a search for a recipe. Most okra I have had has been fried, but this one is cooked on the stovetop and healthier than fried for sure. Another added bonus was it helped use up some off the fresh tomatoes that my neighbors gave me. I was surprised that my kids like the okra as much as they did. The recipe didn't have a recommendation of what to serve with it so I chose pasta so that if it wasn't a hit with the kids that they would have something to fill their tummies.


Okra and Tomatoes

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006

1 pound okra, rinsed and trimmed

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion (I used sweet onion as usual.)

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 cups peeled and chopped tomato

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise* or black pepper (I used the black pepper)

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (I don't have cardamom so I used 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon)


Directions

Cut each okra pod in half lengthwise and set aside. If there are any pods longer than 4 inches, cut them in half crosswise and then lengthwise.

Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions along with the salt and cook until they begin to turn golden, approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and add the ginger, pepper, cardamom and okra. Stir to combine. Cook, uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve immediately.

*Cook's Note: Grains of Paradise are available online and in specialty spice markets. They have a zesty flavor reminiscent of pepper, coriander, and cardamom.


1 comment:

Linda said...

I wish I would have seen this before I fried mine. looks delicious.