"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Friday, December 26, 2008

Grapefruit Slush-Thanksgiving and Christmas Must

My Grandma Bartholomew always served this slush at every holiday for as long as I can remember. We had it at all our family holiday feast. It is one tradition from my family that I continue to carry on with my own children and even my in-laws are hooked. If you like grapefruit you will enjoy this appetizer. I have cut the sugar in half from my grandmothers original recipe and I don't notice much of difference, but I am hoping my hips will. ;-) I enjoy this with more slush that soda pop in my glass and like to eat it with a spoon like a Slurpee. Find your favorite way of spooning, slurping, or drinking this recipe. Cheers-Enjoy!

2 cup sugar (I have cut it back to 1 cup and think you can taste the grapefruit flavor more)
2 cups water
2 cans grapefruit with juices/syrup (another reason to cut back on the sugar) *remove the seeds**I love to use Red Ruby grapefruit, but any will do.
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
Maraschino Cherries (optional) We cut these in half and blot on paper towel add as many as desired.

Blend grapefruit in blender. Combine with all other in ingredients freezer safe container and stir until well mixed. (I personally like to heat the sugar and water together until I know the sugar is dissolved) Freeze well. Serve with sprite or 7-up.

No comments: