"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Friday, March 13, 2009

White Chicken Chili's




I got this recipe from my friend Aubrey Walker. She brought it to me one evening when the house was turned upside down while we were putting in the kitchen with some awesome Refrigerator Biscuits (also found on the blog). Every time I have this I think, "Oh this is so good!" Cameron thinks it's spicy hot--so if you have kids you might want to play with the spices to your liking. I am going to post Aubrey's original recipe and then tell you what changes I made in notes following it. Aubrey said this freezes well.

1 lb cooked Chicken cubed (I diced mine into small bite size slightly larger than a bean)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 medium onion chopped
1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil (I used olive oil or Canola oil)

Saute those together until the meat is cooked through. Then add:

2 cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz Chicken broth ( I used 24 oz and I think that you could EASILY stretch this recipe for the budget by adding more here)
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chili's
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin--don't double if you make a double batch
1 teaspoon ground oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ceyanne pepper--don't double (I used close to 1/8 tsp.)

Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream (I forgot to add both of these! Crazy as I had both on hand and that is why I chose the recipe for dinner--duh! But I liked it without it too. It makes the chili more HEART healthy and lower in fat! Can't complain right!!)

After adding the sour cream and cream don't allow to boil again just heat it through. Dish up and enjoy! (If you choose not to add the creams this recipe would freeze well. We also added the sour cream later trying to turn down the heat for Cameron.)

**I think that adding the cream and sour cream tones down the heat, but for us I think 1/8 teaspoon ceyanne pepper is good for starters.
***The picture above is what it looks like without the creamy ingredients.

Last night we had a RS Enrichment night--Theme Use your Beans (food storage night)

This recipe is Betty Hubbell's and was really good. It is different than the first recipe of Aubrey's in taste. It has a nice cheese flavor to it. (It was nice to taste them within a few days of each other. I enjoyed them both.

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

4 Chicken breast cooked in 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
4 or 5 cups cooked Great Northern Beans
4 cups Chicken broth
2 onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic
2 to 4 cans chopped chilies
2 teaspoons Cumin
1/2-1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 cup chopped fresh Cilantro

Simmer 1-3 hours. Thirty minutes before serving add:
1 cup Half and Half
3 cups shredded Monterey cheese

Do NOT BOIL after adding Half and Half and cheese. Keep warm. She said this Chili freezes well too.

No comments: