"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tender Pot Roast

I modified a recipe I got for "Flavorful Pot Roast" from Quick Cooking magazine. This pot roast is tender, delicious, and SIMPLE--my favorite part for throwing together a low maintenance meal.

2-3 Boneless Beef Roast (I have used Chuck, Rump, etc and they all turn out great!)
1 envelope Ranch Salad Dressing Mix (dry)
1 envelope Italian Salad Dressing Mix
1 envelope Brown Gravy Mix
1/2 cup Water

Mix the dry salad dressing mixes and the gravy in a small bowl. Then rub on the meat. Add the water.

Add on top:
3 Ribs celery finely chopped
Potatoes of choice (Typically around 3-3.5 lbs or I count out what I think I will need per person)
Carrots (I use 1 - 1.5 lbs of the baby carrots for ease. When I don't have them I peel and cut regular carrots and cut them in about 1-inch thick pieces.)

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, thicken juices for a gravy (I seldom do this! It is great without it.) Often times the roast is so tender that if I don't use and electric knife it shreds and ends up looking more like pulled beef, either way it is wonderful.

No comments: