"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Saturday, June 13, 2009

Balsamic-Glazed Strip Steaks

 This was tasty. The Grilled Mushrooms and Onions were AWESOME! I think I would make them all by themselves. I even thought they would be great on top of a hamburger with a slice of swiss cheese for something to mix up the old burger.

AnyHOO on with the recipe! I got this recipe out of my "Grill it Quick!" Pampered Chef book. It takes about 15 minutes to prep it and 30 minute start to finish.

BALSAMIC GLAZE:
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed

MUSHROOM MIXTURE:
1 lb mushrooms, halved (I used white button mushrooms--its on one of two options I have here at our little grocery store and the most economical of the two.)
2 Medium onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika (mine was good old regular)
1 teaspoon salt

STEAKS AND GARNISH:
2 beef strip steaks, cut 1-inch thick (just choose a tender steak cut!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 beefsteak tomatoes, thickly sliced
1/4 crumbled blue cheese (no one in my family will touch the stuff!! Including me! I hate the smell of blue cheese--my pallet still has some learning to do I guess!)

Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. For GLAZE, whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on High for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thick, syrupy and reduced to about 1/4 cup. (Be prepared to have your nose burn while this is going on! I was shocked that I felt it as much as I did. Mine took 6 minutes.)

For MUSHROOM MIXTURE, combine the mushrooms, onions, oil, paprika and salt; mix well. Preheat a BBQ Grill Basket on grill for 3 minutes. Grill mushroom mixture, undisturbed, 7 minutes. Shake basket then grill additional 8-9 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and onions begin to caramelize. Remove basket from grill and keep mixture warm.

Set aside 2 Tablespoons glaze for serving. Season steaks with salt and black pepper; brush remaining glaze over both sides of steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 4 minutes or until grill marks appear.  Turn with tongs and grill 4-6 minutes or until thermometer registers 140 degrees for medium-rare or 150 for medium doneness. Transfer steaks from grill to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.

Slice steaks against grain and serve with tomatoes, mushroom mixture and blue cheese if you like it. Drizzle reserved glaze over steaks.

Yeilds: 4 servings

No comments: