"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Tuesday, October 20, 2009

German Pancakes


My mom used to make these often when I was growing up. I make them a few times a year and my boys love them. We have always called them "German Pancakes". I have also heard them called "Puffy Pancakes". They are very similar to "pop over bread" We eat them as a breakfast food. I know my brother-in-laws family eats it as a bread for dinner. Take your pick and enjoy.


6 eggs (9 eggs)
1 cup milk (1 1/2 cups)
5 Tablespoons butter or margarine (8 Tablespoons)
1 cup flour (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt (same)

Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Whip eggs until thick and lemon colored in a blender. Add milk, flour, and salt. Blend until smooth. Melt butter in a 9 x 13 pan (amounts in parenthesis are for a 9.5 x 13.5 Pyrex glass dish). Pour butter into pan 9 x 13 with melted butter. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure that center has the same firmness as the edges.

Serve with syrup of choice (we like maple) or powdered sugar.

No comments: