"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Fried Ice Cream


Boy oh boy! This was a dangerous recipe for me to discover I could do! I loved it, as did my family. Got 5 stars all around! Now I can make it from the comforts of my own home; everyone can have their own serving at a fraction of the price of our favorite Mexican restaurants. If you love fried ice cream you will thoroughly enjoy this sweet find. There are several fried ice cream recipes I have pin from pintrest, I started with this one from Life in The Loft House blog and modified it to our liking. I may not be trying an others because this is so simple and so delicious! And it doesn't require I get my big fryer out!

Fried Ice Cream

6-8 cups of Corn Flakes crushed (you need 3-4 cups total after it is crushed.)
3/4-1 cup sugar
3/4-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup toasted sweetened coconut flakes (I do this separately in a fry pan until its golden brown)

Combine corn flakes, sugar,  and cinnamon. Melt the butter in a large fry pan then add the cornflake sugar mixture. Pan fry for 5 minutes on medium high heat, until the cereal starts to toast. Watch it carefully, stirring frequently, you do not want to let it burn which it can do quickly. When cereal is done frying toss in the toasted coconut and stir until mixed in.

Press half the cornflake mixture into a 9 x 13.  Top with a quart of your favorite vanilla ice cream, then top with the second half of the fried cornflakes.  Transfer to the freezer until it hardens. Top with drizzle of chocolate sauce, a dollop of whipping cream (I like to use the spray can kind on desserts like this.) and top with a Maraschino Cherry.

Note:
If you really love the cinnamon flavor you can soften your ice cream and stir in another 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a tub of cool whip if desired. (I have tried it both ways. I don't think that the cool whip really adds that much to the dish other than more expense and calories.) If you choose to soften the ice cream to spread it into the pan than plan for 5 hours to set back up.


No comments: