"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Garlic Oven Roasted Cabbage

My sister-in-law EC asked me if I had ever tried or seen the roasted cabbage idea on Pintrest.  I hadn't so I went looking.  We enjoy cabbage one of my 10-year old sons loves it! It just wants to crunch and munch on it plain.  When I am shredding it up for a salad or a stir-fry he has a hard time keeping his little paws out of the pile.  Makes me happy that he enjoys a few healthy things in his diet to balance out our sweet tooth we all have.

This recipe was great.  I made one modification to it. I minced my garlic and put it in a small bowl with olive oil then brushed it on both sides of my cabbage before roasting.  I did note that if it isn't slices thick enough it tends to roast a little to quickly and dries out, turning brown and tasting a little burnt. So learn from me don't throw those loose ends on the pan with it, toss them in your salad bowl instead.  This got rave reviews from my family.  Thank you Everyday Maven for a great recipe to add to our favorites.


Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steaks
By: Everyday Maven via Pintrest
Serves: 4

Ingredients
1 (approx 2lb) head of organic green cabbage, cut into 1″ thick slices
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
spray olive oil OR non-stick cooking spray


Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Pull outer leaf off cabbage (it’s usually dirty and nasty looking), cut cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1″ thick slices.
Rub both sides of cabbage with smashed garlic.
Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices.
Finally, sprinkle each side with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and Enjoy!




No comments: