"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eclair Cake



Thank you Paula Deen! This is a 5 star dessert at our house! One of our smallest guest gave this 10, 000 stars! If that doesn't say GOODNESS I don't know what does.
I have had this before back when we lived in Connecticut, it was served at a young women's function, but my friend Angie. I don't know how this recipe compares to hers, but it is very similar in looks and taste.
We served it as a FHE treat and seconds were wanted by all our guest too. I have to admit it was so rich! I must also I downed a second helping like everyone else-- I had less guilt because I made it with Sugar-free pudding, and Cool Whip Free to cut down on calories and it is good thing I did! This was "TOOlicious" aka Delicious.
I have to say that I didn't plan for 24 hours in the fridge, so it got more like 4-5 hours and nobody seemed to care! THIS IS A MUST TRY RECIPE is you like pudding, chocolate, and don't forget the strawberry on top it was the perfect touch. Can't wait to have more company over so I can have the excuse to make this simple and easy dessert. A great find before the summer heat when no one in their right mind wants to turn on the oven to bake treats!

Ingredients
Cake:
1 (1-pound) box graham crackers
2 (3 1/4-ounce) boxes instant French vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups milk
1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Frosting
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Butter the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan. Line with whole graham crackers. In bowl of an electric mixer, mix pudding with milk; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Pour half the pudding mixture over graham crackers. Place another layer of whole graham crackers on top of pudding layer. Pour over remaining half of pudding mixture and cover with another layer of graham crackers.

For frosting, blend together sugar and cocoa. Add butter and milk, mixing well. Add corn syrup and vanilla. Stir until creamy. Cover cake with frosting and refrigerate for 24 hours.

No comments: