"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fry Bread

Jack had been requesting Fry Bread for a while now. So one night I was thinking we'd do taco's for a quick meal (I had meat in the freezer ready to go.) So I pulled out the new cookbook that I got at my class a few days before and gave this a shot. I love that it is all pantry items that I have to toss it together from scratch quickly and it made more than enough for my little family.

Quin's proud display of his Fry Bread Taco


Fry Bread (p. 141)
2 cups all-purpose flour or (1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
3/4-1 cup warm water
Canola Oil (for frying)

Mix flours, baking powder, and salt together. Combine nonfat dry milk with warm water. (Mixing milk with water prevents white particles in the oil wen frying). Add enough milk to dry ingredients to form a ball of dough. Form into 12 balls and roll or pat each ball into a 5-inch circle. Fry in hot (350-375 degree) canola oil until puffy and golden, turning once. Stand upright in pan lined with paper towels or unused brown paper bags to drain fat.

No comments: