"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hamburger Vegetable Soup W/ Corn Bread


Our community recreation department had a listing for Free Cooking Classes. So I organized a few women that I knew liked to cook, exchange and visit about recipes to come to my home for the classes. The teacher comes from the UW Cooperative Extension--She's the Cent$ible Nutrition Project Coordinator. It is a program that has several classes teaching you how to feed your families better for less money. We held our first class and got their cookbook (free!) Then they asked us to try recipes out of it over the next week so we could ask question or share with others what we did to modify it. I have had good luck with the few I have tried with a few if any changes of my own.

This soup was a last minute meal I decided to do because I had everything on hand and need something quick! I hadn't planned very well this day--happening more and more often as the weather gets better! :-) Both the Soup and the cornbread were done in 30 minutes or less. I also used the Variation suggestions with some changes.

Hamburger Vegetable Soup (p.328)
12 oz. Lean ground beef
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans (I rinsed and drained)
1 (20 oz) bag frozen vegetables or 3 cups of any combination of vegetables
3 Beef Bouillon cubes (I used 5! and I think it was just right)
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
6 cups water (This is why I added more bouillon you could add up to 6 cubes)

Brown ground beef in large pan. Drain.
Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. You may need to add more water.

Serves 8

Variation: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons dried minced onion (I added a fresh small sweet onion)
and 2 unpeeled, diced potatoes (my russell potatoes were really small so I used 3 potatoes).


This wasn't my favorite corn bread. It doesn't even come close to my mother-in-laws corn bread which I call "corn bread cake!" This one is dry and crumbly and not very sweet like Ruth's, but in a hurry it was a good side and my kids loved it regardless. Cameron liked it plain, Quin liked it with our honey, Hugh just ate it no comment, and Jack though it need more sweetness. I was just grateful that it was ready from start to finish in under 30 minutes. Ruth's takes almost an hour.

Corn Bread (p. 133)
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
1 cup lowfat milk
1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, grease an 8 x 8 pan. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk, and oil. Stir until mixed. (Do not over beat.) Pour into greased pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into nine pieces.

No comments: