"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes

I went searching for a recipe for a chocolate cupcake with a peanut butter filling after having a taste of on my mom's friend brought her while I was visiting in UT over a year ago. I don't know if this is the best one out there, but I was willing to try it at least once! My boys loved them. I personally thought the cake was very dry. So maybe next time I will opt for a moist box cake or a better homemade cake recipe I already have. They were very rich to say the least. At 300 calories and 17 grams of fat per cupcake I would have thought that they would have melted in my mouth! I think I will count my blessings that they didn't and that they weren't a huge temptation for me. Adding 20 lbs instead of losing it is not the way to bring in the New Year now is it?! If you try these I hope they bring you joy! Most chocolate goodies do that for me ;-).



For the Chocolate Cupcake:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk

Peanut Butter Filling:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons milk

Chocolate Frosting
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts chopped (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line cups of two standard-size 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.

Chocolate Cupcakes:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, 2 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy, 1 minute. On low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk, beggining and ending with flour mixture. Fill each prepared muffin cup two-thirds full, about 3 Tablespoons (I use my medium size ice cream scoop.)

Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan to wire rack; let cool.

Filling:
In a medium-size bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in sugar and 3 Tablespoons milk. On high speed, beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute. If too thick, beat in 1 Tablespoon milk. When cupcakes are cooled, spoon filling into large pastry bag fitted with 1/4-inch plain round tip. Insert tip into top of each cupcake; squeeze as much filling into center of each as possible (the top will bulge).

Chocolate Frosting:
In large glass bowl, microwave milk chocolate pieces on high power 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to melt. With mixer on medium speed, beat in sour cream until fluffy and good spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle edge with peanuts if desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days.

No comments: