"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup


Okay I admit it! I have not had the motivation to cook up a storm, make my menu, or anything of the sort! I have been preoccupied with house decisions and trying harder to focus on the things that matter most! Yep you guessed it my recipe blog becomes a low priority, but something I still enjoy so I am trying not to give it up completely. We all need a little pleasure in life right!

I finally got online and said that I was going to choose just a couple of recipes that might help jump start my enthusiasm for the kitchen duty again! I was looking for meals in 30 minutes or less or quick and simple meals. Does any one out there have some good standby's that they always go to when they are not wanting to spend all afternoon/evening in the kitchen? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if you would share! (Yeah Linda I guess I am talking to you! LOL! You seem to be the only personal to leave me a comment from time to time. Thanks for checking on me. ;-) )

So I found another soup that is a keeper at my home. I got it off a blog who got it off a blog, etc. Then I modified it to my liking the original called for a ridiculous 4 cans of cream of chicken soups! I thought that was a little excessive. I cut it back the amount of canned soup and added more vegetables and it was a hit for my family. We like soups, so if you are soup loving like us you might enjoy this too.

Jill's Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

10 cups water
10 bullion cubes or 10 teaspoons Chicken Base (I love my ckn base. I buy it at Costco)
4 Chicken Boneless, skinless (You can start with it Frozen! LOVE IT!)
(I like a combo of white and dark so I use 2 boneless thighs and 4 chicken tenders--Costco chicken is my fav)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 boxes Rice a Roni Wild Rice flavor
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1 small can stems and peices Mushrooms
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup

Fill your pot with water bring to a boil. Add chicken, onion, bullion, salt, and pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about 25 minutes. Remove chicken pieces from the boiling broth after the 25 minutes. Use scissors or knife and cut or shred your chicken. Return chicken to the pot. The chicken should be cooked through.

Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms and boxes of rice (pour in the rice and seasoning packets that come along in the box). Cover and let simmer about 15 minutes more, until the veggies and rice are cooked.

Add the cream of chicken soups, turn up the heat and let it come to a boil. Once the soup is thickened (this takes just a few minutes after it comes to a boil again) it is ready to be served.

Serve it up with your favorite slice of bread and a side salad.

No comments: