"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Creamy Lemon Asparagus Risotto

So I did something totally crazy and ordered a case of asparagus to split with my sister-in-law. Not the brightest idea. While we love asparagus at our house. To much of a good thing might ruin it. So not wanting this to happen I have freely shared my asparagus with family and friends. My Neighbors are next on the list! If I had a pressure cooker to can this wonderfully young and tasty asparagus my purchase would have been a light more brilliant! I may still try to freeze a couple of pounds and see how it turns out!

So along with my asparagus I have many fresh herbs and other fresh produce that I need to create a menu around. Strangely it motivates me. Sometimes we use our tried and true recipe and other times I try something new. This basket is proving to be both. So today I share one that we have tried before.

I got this recipe years ago (1995 to be exact) from the Food and Family magazine that Kraft foods put out. This is a great springtime dish. It's easy, creamy, and it taste good. We don't usually use Minute Rice so I have to buy it for this recipe. I prefer regular rice to the minute variety, but I am not going to complain when a recipe turns out great and its fast!

(Picture to be posted later.... maybe :-D)
Creamy Lemon Asparagus Risotto
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups Minute White Rice, uncooked
1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tablespoons cream cheese spread
Grated pee; and juice of one lemon

Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes or until tender
Stir in rice, asparagus, and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
Add cream cheese spread, peel and juice; stir until well blended.

Makes 6 Servings

No comments: