"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Saturday, October 19, 2013

Black Beans & Rice with Apple Salsa and Chicken

I got this recipe from Our Best Bites who got it from Bon Appetit, January 2012.  I modified it to use what I had on hand. My twins loved it. Hugh not so much.


Black Beans & Rice with Apple Salsa and Chicken (omit for vegetarian meal)

1 cup peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple-- I used 1 gala and one macintosh apple
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (I usually use sweet onion for everything!)
2 limes (I used 2 teaspoons bottled)

1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (I used red)
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 (13.5 oz) can chicken broth (use vegetable base/broth for vegetarian)
2 (15 oz ) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 rotisserie chicken, or 4 grilled chicken breast
4-6 lime wedges (optional)

Combine apple, cilantro, 2 Tablespoons onion, and the juice of half a lime (i used 2 teaspoons lime juice from bottle). Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and black pepper and set aside.

Combine remaining onion, bell peppers, and oil in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until completely softened, 6-7 minutes.  Add garlic, and next three ingredients; stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Stir in broth and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer briskly, mashing some of the beans with the back of a spoon and stirring often, until sauce is thickening, 8-10 minutes (or longer if needed). Season with salt and pepper to taste and  big squeeze of lime juice (I didn't add more). Divide rice and beans among plates. Top with some apple salsa and chicken if desired.  Garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges. Serves 4-6 ( This fed my family of 6 with left overs for the next day. Granted Hugh and Daisy didn't eat an adult size portion.)


For my chicken because I didn't want to stand out and grill in the cold!
I used thawed chicken tenders sprinkled with coarse kosher salt and a little pepper. Broiled on (third rack down) on a low broil setting for 10-15 minutes until done and juice ran clear.

No comments: