"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Salted Caramel Granola

I love granola! I love making it for my family and friends. I came upon this recipe when I was searching for some recipes for a special shower I was hosting at my house for a friend of mine who was a surrogate mother for her dear cousin.  One special gal! So I wanted this shower to be simple yet have a variety.  I made several homemade granolas and this one took the prize. It is more like a treat than it is a tree hugging "granola" snack.  Probably why everyone devoured it.  Its a keeper for sure!


SALTED CARAMEL GRANOLA

Author: KELLEY GRANT 

INGREDIENTS
4 cups oats
½ cup flax seeds (optional)
⅛ cup chia seeds (optional)
1 cup pecans
1 cup of pretzels
½ cup honey
½ cup of coconut oil
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ stick of butter
½ cup of brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS
1 Preheat oven to 350. Spray a cookie sheet or use a silicone baking sheet.
2 Mix together the oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, pecans, and pretzels.
3 In a saucepan, bring the honey, coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla to a boil.
4 Allow to cool then mix together with the dry ingredients.
5 Press the mixture onto your cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes,or until it starts to turn golden brown.
6 Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes.
7 While its cooling, bring the brown sugar, butter and milk or cream to a boil on the stove stop. Whisk constantly.
8 Allow to boil for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
9 Pour over the granola and place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
10 Remove, let cool and break into pieces!

11 Enjoy!

No comments: