"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Friday, September 18, 2009

Zucchini Whoppie Pies

These little pies are RICH and Delicious. I got the recipe from Real Mom Kitchen who got it somewhere else! I love cooks who are willing to share their great recipes--THANK YOU LADIES! Another great find for those over grown zucchini's. These cookies are extremely tender and thin. I think next time I might increase the flour even more then I have noted here. They turned out great but I would like them to be slightly thicker, and a little more durable, but not tough!

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I added another 2 T. so total of 2 1/4 cups)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I used something like 1/8 tsp. because nutmeg is not one of my favorite flavors)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup finely chopped nuts (I used Pecans)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1 cup grated zucchini-squeezed
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Mix shortening and sugar. Add in egg. Mix. Add milk and mix.
2. Add in dry ingredients and stir.
3. Blend in the zucchini and vanilla.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350* for about 12-15 minutes, until the bottom gets browned.
Cool and sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling.
Filling:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
Beat all ingredients together until light and fluffy.

No comments: