"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Monday, December 14, 2009

Chicken, Veggie, and, Mushroom Pasta


I found this recipe on Chelle's blog (Titled Mushroom Chicken Pasta) and thought I would give it a try. I had some mushrooms I needed to use up so the timing was perfect. It was good warm and the next day I ate it as a cold pasta salad and enjoyed it that way too. I love that it isn't dripping with sauce or juices. I also loved the nice fresh flavor of the cilantro it isn't overbearing in flavor, just a nice hint of herb. I also think this would be tasty without the meat as a vegetarian dish.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced crosswise
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (I just use the minced garlic from a jar if I don't have fresh garlic)
1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
3/4 cup red or orange sweet peppers
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups dry bow tie pasta- cook as directed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Fry chicken in oil over medium heat until done. Sprinkle with salt and remove from skillet. Keep warm.
2. Cook garlic in oil until golden. Add mushrooms, green onions and peppers- cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, red pepper, cornstarch and salt. Heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Combine chicken, hot mixture, pasta and cilantro. Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan to your liking and enjoy!
*Use less crushed red pepper to make it mild. Also, I add the peppers when I have them on hand- zucchini and squash are delicious too.

1 comment:

Kim Possible said...

We made this vegetarian and like you guessed--it was great w/out the chicken. It made the "make again" list with my hubby too.
Next time I will try it with only 1/4tsp red pepper like you did. For our first try we thought we better go all the way/with the original measurement since we tend to like things kickin'
However the spice, though good, covered up the other falvors too much. I may back of on the cilantro a bit too. It was a spicy cilantro flavor. I was sad all the garlic I took the time to press out wasn't tasted...etc w/other ingreidents.
Thanks again for great recipes!