"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Thursday, March 4, 2010

Easy Chicken and Dumplings



This recipe was a huge hit with my little family. I loved it! It really hit the spot for me. Chicken Noodle soups are a major comfort food though aren't they? And comfort food always please everyone it seems--at least they are at our home.

This is sure to be a kid friendly meal. It was gobbled down by my two year old as fast as I could keep it cooled down for him. Cameron stated, "Mom, I love the noodles!" and this morning Quin said to Jack. "Dad we had the yummiest soup last night you have to try it!" So I guess if kids understood the rating system this would be a 4-5 star for us! When Jack at it at midnight he commented that it was good. He too loved the noodle. When I told him what it was he said, "Oh so I guess it isn't that good for us huh?" To which I replies, "It is okay we don't eat refrigerated biscuits all that often!"

I was glad I tried this recipe before the weather gets to nice and it is not appealing to have soups anymore. I got this recipe from January 2010 Southern Living magazine p 127.

Easy Chicken and Dumplings

1 (32 oz) container low-sodium chicken broth (I used closer to 5 cups of broth)
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lbs. I used chicken tenders. Salt and peppered while cooking. They suggested a deli-roasted chicken yields about 3 cups of meat)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 (10.2 oz can) refrigerated jumbo butter milk biscuits --I am sure you could stir up your own biscuits and it would work fine, but doesn't make the recipe EASY ;-) or quick!
2 Carrots, diced (I used 3-4)
3 celery ribs, diced

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium high; return to a low boil.

Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch wide strips. Drop strips, one at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Kim Possible said...

This dinner was so fun...to cook and to look at after.
My husband loved it just as much the next day too. He was excited to take the left overs to work/for lunch. I admit I wished I'd kept more at home for myself. Maybe it's just because we like our food warm but having this on June 10, 2010 didn't bother us a bit....however it was a cooler day :D
Sometimes we wish we could just come to your kitchen because we know it must be serving something super every night.