"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Friday, March 12, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Fun- Eating the Rainbow and More

I kicked off the week trying to be better at making the holidays fun for my kids. I always remember my mom decorating for each and every holiday. I on the other hand decorate very little for all the holidays except for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and CHRISTMAS and even at it's bet it is minimal. So in an effort to make St. Patrick's Day fun I helped my boys create their own little leprechaun traps. Hoping we will trap him and get loads of gold! They are so excited they are counting down like it is Christmas or something. It has just gone to prove to me that making holidays fun is a big deal to kids--I just hope they will remember it. :-) It has been a fun week trying to make up answers for all their leprechaun questions.

So today for fun we made 'Taste of Rainbow" cupcakes from familyfun.com The kids had a blast. If you enlist yourself in this project be prepared to spend some time. They are not your quick toss it in the pan cupcakes. (I doubled the cake mixes because I thought if I am going to do it I am going to make it worth my time!--Maybe that is why it took so long! ;-))
The fun part for my boys was being able to help stir each small batch of food coloring batter that I had waiting for them and seeing what color they turned into.
Here they are helping me fill the cupcake liners--by reminding me which color comes next.
Hughie just enjoyed being able to lick everything we were done with clean.
The End RESULTS: A CUTE Edible RAINBOW
Taste of Rainbow

White Cake mix (18.25 oz box)--or double it! ;-)
Food Coloring (red, blue, green, and yellow)
Baking cups (White ones allow you to see the rainbow through them)
Whipping Cream (optional)

Prepare your favorite white cake mix, then divide the batter evenly into 6 bowls. place in liners in the following order (Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red).

Bake according to recipe directions. Remove the paper and wrapper, and if you like, top each cupcake with a whipping cream cloud.

Food coloring
Purple -- 9 red and 6 blue drops
Blue-- 12 drops
Green--12 drops
Yellow--12 drops
Orange--12 yellow and 4 red drops
Red --18 drops


Enjoy the delight on your kids faces as they eat their way to the end of the rainbow!

No comments: