"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Monday, January 19, 2009

Raspberry Cheesecake-Lion House


I love cheesecake and raspberries! I enjoy making baked cheesecakes so when I saw the recipe title I put the needed items on my grocery list and waited anticipated the Sunday Dinner when I would have dessert as my assignment.  When it arrived I was disappointed that it wasn't an actual cheesecake, but learned my lesson to read the entire recipe and not just look at the pictures in the book.  Even though I felt miss lead it turned out tasty and was a hit with my niece Jessica as well as everyone else. I made some modifications on how I would actually put the cake together--you start to think differently about presentation if you think you are actually going to take a picture of the darn thing and share it with others---LOL. It has brought a fun challenge to meal prep and my family finds it enjoyable too.
**This recipe is similar to one my sister Sherri makes with her wonderful homemade white cake. Which she makes in to a memorable Strawberry Shortcake of sorts

1 package white cake mix
2 -8 oz packages of cream cheese softened at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 pint whipping cream whipped (I tried Lion House Stabilized cream recipe--great!)
2 16 oz cans raspberry pie filling (When I make this again I will use the Danish Junket that my mother ALWAYS uses. I had been taught better than to used canned! Junket taste SO MUCH BETTER!!!)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 x 13 baking pans. Prepared cake according to  package directions.  Pour half of cake batter into each pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake test done.  Remove from oven and cool.

In a medium bowl, whip cream cheese and powdered sugar together until fluffy. Whip whipping cream separately, then add to cream cheese mixture.  Divide the mixture and spread half of it onto each cake.  Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 24 to 30 servings.

No comments: