"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Thursday, January 14, 2010

Harvest Roasted Vegetables



I got this book through a preschool book order and when I ordered it I thought it would be your basic ABC book, but it turned into so much more for me and my boys. We read this as a bedtime story and the boys were so inquisitive about all the foods that they had never tasted before. It was really fun and an eye-opening experience for them. The three boys and I went on a grocery shopping trip and they were on a hunt for "star fruit" much to their disappointment we did not find one, but were were able to see a papaya, Quince, turnips, Ugli fruit, Figs and so much more. They were so excited to buy Brussels sprouts, a mango, and a pomegranate. They love pomegranates and are looking forward to trying the mango when it is ripe.
Okay so that is a long history to tell you why we are posting this recipe. Thanks for baring with me on this one. This recipe is worth the wait I promise. I did a little online searching for ways to cook Brussels sprouts. I adapted this recipe from eatbetteramerica.coms recipe. The recipe said it yields 14 (1/2 cup) servings. My little family of five gobbled it down until we only had three cups for leftovers. (Granted it was the only side I offered with the meal, but the caramelized sugars that the vegetables produced was just to irresistible!)

Hugh blowing on the hot veggies--he couldn't wait one second longer to indulge in this colorful and healthy dish! He kept picking at it until I had everything on the table and ready to go.

Harvest Roasted Vegetables
1 small butternut squash (about 2 lbs), peel, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
4 unpeeled small red potatoes, quartered
1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin slices
2 cups small fresh Brussels sprouts (about 8-12 oz)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Kosher Salt (sprinkle on after roasting to taste)

Heat oven to 425. Spray a large cookie sheet/jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix all vegetables together. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Spread vegetables in pan.

Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring and turning vegetables several times, until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Kosher salt.


No comments: