"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Nutter Butter-Banana Pudding Trifle


Wow as I have looked over my past photos of 2009 I realized that I have missed blogging several of our tasty dishes. We tried this dish in October for our Sunday dinner dessert. It was yummy. The only thing I will change is making my mom's homemade Banana Cream pudding because it is so smooth and creamy. (It doesn't use the egg whites or flour which I think makes the texture more smooth.)

Plan ahead it needs 2 HOURS to Chill!

Nutter Butter-Banana Pudding Trifle (Southern Living Magazine 2009 magazine promo-cover)
3 cups milk
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 medium-sized banana's
1 (1 lb.) package peanut butter sandwich cookies--Nutter Butters
** I couldn't bring myself to use the whole package! I just used what I thought looked good--save a little here and there!
2 cups sweetened whipped topping (We frequently use Cool Whip Free!)

Garnish: peanut butter sandwich cookies, dried banana chips (glad I had in food storage) fresh mint sprigs (glad to be growing my own in my kitchen window). **Garnishing is always a nice touch but there is no way I would go out an buy stuff specific to garnish a dish--just not my style. ;-)

Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted.

Fill a large bowl with ice. Place saucepan in ice, and let stand stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly chilled.

Meanwhile, cut bananas into 1/4-inch slices. Break cookies into thirds.

Spoon half a pudding mixture into a 3-qrt. bowl or pitcher. Top with bananas and cookies. Spoon remaining pudding mixture over bananas and cookies. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Cover and chill 2 hours to 24 hours. Garnish if desired.

No comments: