"It's the company, not the cooking, that makes the meal!" ~Perilee 
(Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson)



Thursday, January 14, 2010

IHOP French Toast and Coconut Syrup!



This french toast is great. I didn't get a picture because it disappeared so quickly. Cameron had been requesting french toast for breakfast for a while, so I thought I would give this recipe a try. The boys were so excited and had to help make the syrup. I didn't have any great french bread to use at the time I tried this one so we used our regular sandwich bread and it turn out fine. I am sure the french toast would make it over the top, but my boys didn't seem to care and loved it anyway. This would be fun to serve for those special and extra special occasions.



IHOP French Toast by Erin sisterscafe.blogspot.com
2 eggs
½ c. milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 T. flour
6 slices of thick sliced French bread
First beat eggs, then add remaining ingredients with electric mixer. Dip both sides of bread and place in hot buttered pan. Flip over when browned. Serve with Coconut Syrup.
*This recipe reminds me of "The Best cookbooks" French Toast.

Coconut Syrup
This syrup is so tasty! Have you checked out the ingredients how can it not be anything but "Toolicious!". The flavor is wonderful and reminds me a lot of a liquid coconut cream pie. This is a new favorite at our house. Serve it with hot breakfasts, whether it be waffles, pancakes, crepes or french toast. You won't be sorry.

7-8 T. butter
¾ c. buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk. I used 1% milk + lemon juice substitute in the Better Homes and Gardens)
1 c. sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract **

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot. Then turn stove on medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add soda and flavoring. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the 'fizz' to reduce before serving.

**Erin from the sisters cafe blog said she also likes to use vanilla extract to change up the syrups from time to time.

No comments: